Sunday, December 1, 2013

YummY! - Coffee By The Deaf @ Coffee Sprex

You are at - Jotaro's Blog / FootSteps / YummY! / Western & Fusion Food / Coffee By The Deaf @ Coffee Sprex
                            YummY!                                   Jotaro's Food Review     
COFFEE BY THE DEAF @ COFFEE SPREX
Taman Plaza, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia - November 2013
I have often said that I like coffee; but this here is one coffee with a soul, one that is served from the warmth of the heart.
I was really taken by this place that I shared photos of it immediately. It was by the fate that I passed this place just after attending a 50th Wedding Anniversary renewal of vows - from one of a celebration of LOVE to another of a celebration of HOPE.


Deaf staff attending to the work; they are meticulous, hard-working and very friendly.
Coffee Sprex is operated by two deaf partners Angie Leong and Kent Cheong. At the counter I made my orders by pointing to items on the menu. I wanted to order their BIG Breakfast but then it was already three in the afternoon, way past breakfast time; with deft hand movements, Angie pointed out that it is still available but the continuous pouring of coffee was not. With a reciprocal movement of mine, she understood it was okay with me and that I will order coffee separately. So it's not difficult to communicate basic ideas, the body language can tell a lot even before any word is spoken.

I was surprised when the coffee came. At RM3-00, I had expected a cup of coffee. But the serving came in a blancher, good enough for at least two cuppas. Classy indeed for that price! I wanted iced coffee, so this was served with a cup of ice for an additional RM0-50.

And they were quite professional going about serving the coffee - a timer came with each decanter of coffee to ensure that adequate time for the coffee to be imbued into the hot water.
The beeper went off and a staff came over, pushed the filter down forcing the residue to the bottom of the decanter. I slowly sipped the coffee trying to ascertain it's origin. I couldn't as at this price it is a house brew of a blend of a few. Still it was good; strong with an earthy flavour and a fair aroma. A few more sips and the adrenaline kicked in, and I yearned for more sips. At RM 3:00 it is certainly value for money; no complains here.

The BIG breakfast came with four pieces of toasts (& butter), two eggs, luncheon meat, bacon and a 9-inch long chicken bratwurst. For me the eggs were slightly over-done (I like mine sunny side up with the yolk still runny). The bratwurst was standard but well cooked; while the luncheon meat was a slice of round cut and taste very similar to salami, i.e. with a tinge of spiceyness.

Bacon is one of my favourite breakfast food. This one was nicely done; crispy at the edges and just adequately bitey further in.

I will have to come during their breakfast time (i.e. 8:00 am to noon) as other then the continuous pouring of House Coffee, the BIG Breakfast also comes with cereal and milk.

As I ate my meal, I observed Kent and Angie going about their work meticulously and with determination; communicating with each other silently through sign language. It stirred something in me, a sense of pride for them, awakening some bravery in me too.
I will come again, not just for the food but also for the quiet ambiance of the place and the impression that it has made on me.

A fair range of coffee and tea are served here at price very much more reasonable that other places serving similar brews.

Other value meals:



Note: all prices are at the time of this blog.

COFFEE SPREX
9 Jalan SS25/23, Taman Plaza
47301 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Malaysia
GPS : 3.113846, 101.599017



Hours : 7:45 am to 7:00 pm weekdays
           7:30 am to 7:30 pm weekends


Coffee Sprex Location Map (Google Map Link)


You may also like:


East meets West Fusion in a Balinese ambience of dining with nature, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 

A surprising find of soft & tasty cakes, Malacca, Malaysia
You are at - Jotaro's Blog / FootSteps / YummY! / Western & Fusion Food / Coffee By The Deaf @ Coffee Sprex
If you like this, view my other blogs at Jotaro's Blog
(comments most welcomed. if you like this pls share via facebook or twitter)

No comments:

Post a Comment